Loading articles...

Police identify teen shot to death in Regent Park

Tyson Bailey was shot and killed in a Regent Park apartment building on Jan. 18, 2013. HANDOUT

Police believe a teen who was shot to death inside a Regent Park highrise on Friday was targeted, but the motive remains a mystery.

Tyson Bailey, 15, of Toronto was shot four times in the 13th floor stairwell at 605 Whiteside Place near Dundas Street East and River Street, around 2 p.m.

Det. Sgt. Justin Vander Heyden said at a new conference that Bailey had no criminal record and there is no evidence that he was involved in any high-risk behaviour.  He didn’t live in the building where the shooting took place, but is from the general area.

Police are trying to determine why he was there.

“Tyson was either lured here or came here for a reason,” Vander Heyden said. “He didn’t just wander into the 13th floor stairwell.”

Bailey reportedly played football at Central Technical School.

“Tyson was not affiliated with any gangs at all,” Vander Heyden said. “By all accounts he was a fine young man.”

Police are seeking two persons of interest in the case.  They are described as males, one white, one black, both between the ages of 25-30.

The white male is tall and skinny with a pimply complexion. The black male is shorter, and was last seen wearing a thick black jacket.

Residents say paramedics had to climb 10 flights of stairs from the third to the 13th floor to reach Bailey and then carry him back down to a waiting stretcher because the elevators weren’t working.

The highrise on Whiteside was also the site of a double fatal shooting in October 2010 when two teens were gunned down in the lobby. That case remains unsolved.

A 14-year-old boy who lives in Regent Park, which is Canada’s largest public-housing neighbourhood now undergoing a major facelift, told CityNews, “It’s kind of crazy ‘cause people my age are getting shot.”

Both Regent Park and Duke of York elementary schools – two schools located in one building – were placed in a hold-and-secure as a precaution while police investigated.