Loading articles...

Victim identified in Yorkdale shooting

Michael Nguyen, 23, was shot and killed outside Yorkdale mall on March 30, 2013. CITYNEWS

Toronto police say it’s believed that multiple firearms were used in a shooting in the parking lot of a north Toronto mall where a man was killed and another wounded Saturday night.

Toronto police Det. Rob North says 23-year-old Michael Nguyen died after he was shot in the Yorkdale mall parking lot near a store entrance around 8 p.m.

North says Nguyen was known to police but added there is no indication the shooting was gang related.

He says a second 24-year-old man was shot near a restaurant entrance as the dispute moved across the lot.

North says the man is in critical but stable condition in Toronto hospital and is expected to survive.

He says the shooting began with an “altercation” between two groups, though investigators are not sure if the dispute began inside or outside the mall, or if the shots came from opposing sides or instead members of the same group.

There were no gun shots fired in the mall and police have no information that any bystanders were injured, North said at a news conference hours after the shooting.

Police are looking for five or six suspects. North told reporters later Sunday that no weapons have been recovered at the scene.

A vehicle of interest was towed away by police for further examination, he said.

“The priority for us is to gather as much evidence as possible,” he told reporters Sunday, noting a “large quantity” of footage from mall surveillance cameras was being looked through.

Police have been checking vehicles in the parking lot, and held a number of cars at the scene overnight.

Those whose vehicles were parked in the mall’s north and underground lots were allowed to remove them early Sunday morning.

Dozens of officers from neighbouring divisions have been reassigned to help examine the scene and collect evidence.

The mall’s management expressed shock over the incident in a statement released Sunday.

“We take security at Yorkdale very seriously in order to keep our customers safe,” the statement read.

“We have regular patrols in the parking lot, well trained personnel inside and outside of the shopping centre, and security cameras monitoring most areas of the property.”

The shooting comes less than a year after the June 2, 2012 shooting in the Eaton Centre food court in which two died and five others were injured.

Ahmed Hassan, 24, was pronounced dead at the scene, and Nixon Nirmalendran, 22, died later in hospital.

[View the story “CityNews viewers comment on safety after Yorkdale mall shooting” on Storify]