Loading articles...

Suspect in shooting, police chase charged with attempted murder

Last Updated Jun 29, 2017 at 8:21 pm EDT

Kristian Jarvis, 31, appears in a Toronto court on June 29, 2017, to face 34 charges in connection with a shooting and car chase that began in Toronto. CITYNEWS/Marianne Boucher

A man accused of shooting his brother, trying to steal several cars, then successfully hijacking a car – shooting a woman and injuring a man in the process – all before leading police on a chase from Toronto to Orillia, is now facing 34 charges.

Three of those charges are for attempted murder: One in the shooting of his brother, and two more for shooting at Toronto police officers.

Kristian Jarvis, 31, appeared in court on Thursday, the day after Wednesday’s wild chase.

He’s facing a slew of gun-related charges, including possessing a loaded gun, using a gun in a robbery, and assaulting a person with a gun. He’s also charged with assault.

The alleged crime spree began around 2 a.m. Jarvis fired a shot at his brother at a home on Herzberg Gardens, near Keele Street and Finch Avenue West.

Toronto police investigate after shots were fired at a home on Herzberg Gardens on June 28, 2017. CITYNEWS/Ken Townsend
Toronto police investigate after shots were fired at a home on Herzberg Gardens on June 28, 2017. CITYNEWS/Ken Townsend


In an effort to escape, Jarvis then allegedly stole and attempted to steal several vehicles.

On the fourth attempt, he allegedly approached the foreman at an auto business near Norfinch Drive and Steeles Avenue West, pistol-whipped him and demanded money and the keys.

Jarvis abandoned the vehicle, because he couldn’t drive standard, and moved on to a silver Honda Civic with a woman inside.

Police said he shot the 53-year-old woman, and she was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Jarvis then took off, heading north on the nearby 400. He shot at the officers pursuing him, police said, but none of those officers were hurt.

During the chase, the suspect crashed into another vehicle. OPP Sgt. Peter Leon said there was a number of collisions, with significant property damage, but no serious injuries.

Jarvis stopped somewhere on Highway 400 near Rutherford Road and, as officers approached, again allegedly opened fire on them before taking off.

Police from Toronto and other areas used spike strips which deflated the getaway car’s tires. Jarvis was surrounded on Highway 400 near Highway 11, ran into the bushes, and eventually surrendered.

Insp. Colin Greenaway said Jarvis showed “absolutely no remorse” during the arrest and was “angered and belligerent.”