Loading articles...

Family of Toronto girl who claimed her hijab was cut apologizes: reports

Last Updated Jan 17, 2018 at 10:42 pm EST

A sign outside of Pauline Johnson Junior Public School is seen in Toronto on Monday, January 15, 2018. A Toronto police investigation has concluded that an incident reported by an 11-year-old girl who claimed her hijab was cut by a scissors-wielding man as she walked to school did not happen. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn

 

Media reports say the family of an 11-year-old Toronto girl whose story of having her hijab cut in an attack last week turned out to be untrue has apologized.

Several news outlets cite a statement from the girl’s family that was released on Wednesday.

Police began investigating last Friday, after the girl said she was attacked twice on the way to school by a man who cut her hijab with scissors.

The alleged attack received widespread media attention, and several prominent figures denounced it while expressing solidarity with the girl and the Muslim community.

On Monday, Toronto police said their investigation revealed that the incident did not happen.

Media reports Wednesday evening quote the family as saying they are “deeply sorry” for the “pain and anger” the story has caused.