Loading articles...

Canadian military working to settle class action suits out of court

Last Updated Feb 23, 2018 at 12:38 pm EDT

A Canadian flag sits on a members of Canadian forces that are leaving from CFB Trenton, in Trenton, Ont., on October 16, 2014. Canada's top military police officer is citing privacy concerns for the fact the Canadian Armed Forces have yet to make good on last year's promise to revisit more than 160 cases of sexual assault previously deemed "unfounded." Military commanders are still committed to making good on last April's promise by enlisting the help of outside advisers such as social workers and other experts to look at each case, Provost Marshal Brig.-Gen. Robert Delaney said in an interview. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Lars Hagberg

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says the military is looking to settle several class-action lawsuits filed by members of the Canadian Armed Forces.

Sajjan says the plaintiffs, who are alleging sexual assault, racism, harassment and discrimination, have agreed to suspend their litigation.

In response, the government will drop its efforts to strike down the class actions and seek to resolve matters outside court.

The minister says he hopes settlements will bring closure and healing to those involved.

The military has been stressing its efforts to fight racism and inappropriate sexual behaviour in the ranks.

Sajjan says senior officers acknowledge the problems and are working to ensure a safe workplace for all and to support victims.