Toronto Police have identified the latest victim in a string of disturbing murders that have put a violent note on a closing year.
On Wednesday night police were called to the Driftwood Community Centre where they discovered the deceased body of a male in his 20’s.
The victim has now been identified as a 27-year-old Toronto resident. We’re not revealing his name at the request of his family, but an autopsy revealed that he died of multiple gunshot wounds to the chest.
His murder represents the third killing in a frighteningly violent week.
Authorities aren’t certain how many suspects they’re looking for yet and people living in the area are worried about it.
“They should do something about it. Find out who it is. It’s not good for the area, keeps everybody indoors,” said area resident Orlando.
Another local resident, Aziz, agreed. “I feel bad,” he said. “If anything happens here … and it’s all the time, it’s on and off, it’s going to be terrible for the people.”
It’s the city’s 69th murder of the year, which may seem high but is actually lower than last year’s total of 79.
And the number of those wrongful deaths involving guns is way down from 2005’s so-called ‘Year of the Gun’. There were 29 firearm-related slayings this year, as opposed to a record-breaking 52 last year.
In speaking about gun crime in a recent interview Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair vowed not to let perpetrators go unpunished.
“We’ve been able to send a message to people who might be inclined to take up guns and go into public spaces and put everybody at risk that we will pursue them relentlessly and that they are at great risk of getting apprehended and prosecuted for their crimes,” he stated.
Still, homicide investigators will spend the last few days of 2006 with a trio of fresh cases to solve – Wednesday’s Jane-Finch shooting, an attack Tuesday night near Kipling and Rexdale that saw one man die of an apparent stab wound, and a double shooting near King and Dufferin on Sunday that ended the life of 23-year-old Jessie Batisse.
Police are now looking for a former friend, Thomas Lawrence Doucette, in connection with the latter case. He’s been charged with first-degree murder and police are asking the public for any information that would lead to him.
And the victim of Tuesday night’s stabbing has now been identified as 25-year-old Oquar Jones. Investigators have taken 24-year-old Rodney Anderson into custody and charged him with second-degree murder.
Anyone with information in any of the recent cases can call police at 416-808-7400 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477).
Sign up for a del.icio.us account here to save your bookmarks for free online.