Loading articles...

Explosion Levels House Near Keele And Lawrence

Four men were badly burned — one critically — in an explosion and fire that levelled a house near Keele and Lawrence.

It happened Wednesday night at 39 Amesbury Dr. Authorities haven’t released an official cause of the blast, but it’s believed the men were carrying out a do-it-yourself gas furnace repair and one of them lit a cigarette.

“The initial information that we have is that one of the occupants may have been doing some home repair to the furnace when the explosion occurred, but they are very lucky to have gotten out alive,” said Ont. Fire Marshal Jim Gillespie.

Two of the men are in a Hamilton burn unit and two were taken to Sunnybrook.

The other two people in the home at the time of the blast weren’t hurt, nor were any neighbours.

An investigation is ongoing.