An unknown hero is getting credit for taking two armed men off of Toronto’s streets.
It all started when at least 15 shots were fired at Dalrymple Park on November 15.
“I heard several explosion noises,” area resident Gunter recalls.
“First of all, I thought they were firecrackers.”
But it wasn’t.
Instead, an unidentified man sitting in his car near the park saw two men run out and jump into a waiting vehicle.
He decided to give chase.
“The two men in the vehicle noticed that he was following and taking down the plate number. As a result, they shot two shots from their firearms,” explained Cst. Tony Vella.
His difficult – and death-defying – work paid off and police arrested two men a short time later. Officers allegedly recovered two guns, as well as cocaine.
While his neighbours didn’t know his name, they were quick to sing his praises.
“You hear shots busting out, I’m going the opposite way,” said Jao Pinto.
“That’s a job for the police who are armed and ready to deal with situations like that,” he added.
Sandra Hogg admitted that she wouldn’t be brave enough to chase after armed men – but “maybe we need more heroes like that.”
Vella was quick to stress that such action is rarely necessary.
“Every situation is different. If you feel comfortable, take action. Otherwise, call the police.”
Officers executed a search warrant at a home on Gibson Avenue on Monday and arrested two men.
Anthony Johnson, 18, of Toronto, and George Senior, 21, of Toronto, are each charged with:
1) Cause Disturbance by Discharging a Firearm,
2) Weapons Dangerous,
3) Unauthorized Presence of a Firearm in a Motor Vehicle,
4) two counts of Discharge Firearm Endanger Life,
5) two counts of Possession of a Restricted Firearm with Ammunition,
6) two counts of Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized,
7) two counts of Possession of a Firearm Obtained by the Commission of an Offence,
8) two counts of Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm,
9) four counts of Careless Storage Ammunition,
10) two counts of Careless Storage of a Firearm,
11) two counts of Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Device.
Anthony Johnson is additionally charged with:
1) two counts of Possession of Firearm Contrary to Prohibition Order.
George Senior is additionally charged with:
1) Possession of Property Obtained by Crime (under)
2) Careless Storage Ammunition.