Loading articles...

Condo Residents Face Two Evacuations In Two Days

Credit: CityNews viewer Charlie Lam

Less than 24 hours after a fire rocked their highrise, residents of a Queens Quay condo building were forced to evacuate again Friday.

Firefighters were back at 260 Queens Quay early Friday morning after the building’s carbon monoxide alarms went off. They were triggered because of a carpet cleaning system being used to clean up the aftermath from Thursday’s huge fire.

Flames broke out around 5 o’clock Thursday afternoon on the building’s roof. The massive blaze could reportedly be seen as far away as St. Catherines.

But crews worked quickly to contain the flames. About 50 firefighters had it controlled within half an hour.

Fire officials haven’t determined the exact cause, but the roof was covered with astro turf, which was the main source for the blaze. Barbecues, furniture and planters provided fuel.

Two people were taken to hospital with hospital with minor smoke inhalation, but there were no serious injuries.

Damage is being estimated at $250, 000.