A Loblaws grocery store reopened Monday after five people were sickened by what was believed to have been chemical fumes. No chemical leak was detected during a weekend search.
The store at 720 Broadview Ave., just south of Danforth, was evacuated Saturday when three workers, a customer and a food vendor started feeling ill.
The five people were taken to hospital and were released shortly after.
Loblaws brought in an environmental company to look into the problem. The fire department and inspectors from the ministry of labour also visited the store to investigate.
There was speculation a cleaner may have punctured a freezer wall, releasing a chemical into the air but no trace of chemicals turned up during a search of the store. Loblaws confirmed Monday that a cleaner did not puncture a freezer wall.