Loading articles...

Norwegians hold memorial services for victims

Norwegians attended several memorial services Friday for the victims in last week’s terror attacks.

Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg spoke at the memorial service organized by his party to remember the 77 people who died in the Oslo bombing of government buildings and the shooting spree at a nearby youth camp on Utoya island.

“We have to live with July 22, but together we will make it,” he said.

Another memorial service was held Friday at an Oslo mosque.

Also Friday, the first funeral for victims was held for Bano Rashid, 18. He was buried at Nesodden church near Oslo.

Anders Behring Breivik has confessed to the attacks, the worst episode in Norway’s history since the Second World War. The right-wing, anti-Islam zealot, said he wanted to start a revolution against immigrants, particularly Muslims.

The bombing outside the prime minister’s office in Oslo on July 22 left eight people dead. Later that day, at least 68 were killed at a Labour Party youth camp on Utoya island by a gunman dressed in a police uniform.

Reivik, who remains in custody, was to be interrogated by police for the second time on Friday.

With files from The Associated Press