A memorial service was held Friday for a couple killed in an east-end blaze a week ago.
Adam Smoke, 41, and Melody George, 39, were remembered at Jerrett Funeral Homes in the city’s north end on Friday afternoon. Following the ceremony, Smoke’s family held a Native drum circle.
The couple died during a fire on Aug. 12 at 143 Bastedo Ave. A pot left unattended on the stove caused the fire, but Smoke and George may not have realized it as there were few working smoke detectors in their home.
The owner of the home, James Webster, 30, was charged under the Ontario Fire Code on Thursday. If convicted, he could face fines totalling $200,000.
The couple leaves behind four children from previous marriages, none of whom were home during the blaze.
A trust fund has been set up for the family and donations can be made at any Royal Bank branch, or by calling 905-884-6016.