Automotive journalists have named the Hyundai Elantra the Canadian Car of the Year.
The Automotive Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC) also named the Volkswagen Touareg TDI Clean Diesel the best utility vehicle of 2012.
The association handed Hyundai honours last October in the best new small car under $21,000 category for the Accent and best small car over $21,000 category for the Elantra. Vehicles are ranked in eight separate categories and then three finalists are chosen for the car of the year award.
The Elantra was also named the 2012 North American car of the year at the Detroit Auto Show last month.
“The all-new Elantra was simply the single most important new vehicle that Hyundai has ever launched,” Steve Kelleher, president and CEO of Hyundai Auto Canada Corp., said in a statement.
“We couldn’t be more proud that AJAC agreed it should win Canada’s highest automotive award.”
The announcement comes before the official opening of the Canadian International Auto Show on Friday at the Metro Convention Centre. The show runs until Feb. 26. Click here for more information.
List winner of 2012 winners:
- Canadian Car of the Year – Hyundai Elantra
- Canadian Utility Vehicle of the Year – Volkswagen Touareg TDI Clean Diesel
- Best New Small Car (under $21,000) – Hyundai Accent
- Best New Small Car (over $21,000) – Hyundai Elantra
- Best New Family Car (under $30,000) – Kia Optima LX
- Best New Family Car (over $30,000) – Kia Optima Hybrid
- Best New Luxury Car – Mercedes-Benz C-Class C350 4MATIC Sedan
- Best New Prestige Car – Mercedes-Benz S-Class S350 BlueTEC 4MATIC
- Best New Sports/Performance Car (under $50,000) – Hyundai Veloster
- Best New Sports/Performance Car (over $50,000) – BMW 1 Series M Coupé
- Best New SUV/CUV (under $35,000) – Dodge Journey
- Best New SUV/CUV ($35,000 – $60,000) – Volkswagen Touareg TDI Clean Diesel
- Best New SUV/CUV (over $60,000) – BMW X3