Loading articles...

Homes in Markham evacuated due to gas leak

Close to 20 homes in Markham were evacuated Saturday morning because of a gas leak.

York Regional Police say it happened shortly around 6 a.m. on Claxton Road, near Markham Road and 16th Avenue.

Crews reported hearing small explosions and noticed a fire near a pool heater. Officials traced the leak to a line feeding the equipment, and workers managed to cap it.

No one was hurt.

Police say residents were allowed to return home just before 6 p.m.