Loading articles...

Toddler's death no longer being treated as suspicious

A police car outside 666 Ontario St., where a toddler was found dead after suffering from flu-like symptoms, Jan. 14, 2013. CITYNEWS

Toronto police are no longer treating the death of a toddler in St. James Town as suspicious, Const. Tony Vella says.

Meanwhile, an autopsy was completed on Tuesday, but the cause of death wasn’t disclosed, a spokeswoman for the coroner’s office said.

Homicide investigators were monitoring the case, as is standard procedure when a child under the age of five dies, but Vella said Tuesday the child’s death was no longer classified as suspicious. The two-year-old boy and his family had been suffering from flu-like symptoms.

The child’s father was the one who found the lifeless boy in his crib on Monday morning in the family’s apartment at 666 Ontario St., near Sherbourne and Wellesley streets. He then called 911.

The child’s aunt told CityNews the entire family had recently visited the doctor with what she described as bad colds. The family was told to return home and drink plenty of fluids.

Robert Lacroix, who works across the street, said he knew something terrible had happened when he saw the child’s mother and older sibling on a bench outside their building.

“There was a lady there … she was really crying. And I overheard her saying that someone had died — woke up and someone had died,” he said. “She had the young boy with her … she was devastated. She was pouring her eyes out. She was crying pretty heavy.”

The child’s five-year-old brother was also taken to the Hospital for Sick Children. There’s no word if he remains in hospital. Neither he, nor his parents are under quarantine.