MGM and Cadillac Fairview will continue their push for a casino at Exhibition Place during a presentation to the Toronto Region Board of Trade on Monday.
But they may soon have to fold: last week, Premier Kathleen Wynne told Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp. (OLG)chairman Paul Godfrey and CEO Rod Phillips there would be no special funding deal for Toronto, despite earlier reports that the OLG was offering the city between $50 – 100 million in hosting fees — a number that eclipses other municipalities.
All Ontario municipalities must receive the same funding deal, Wynne said.
Days after that conversation, the OLG said it was now considering Vaughan as well as Toronto, Mississauga and Markham-Richmond Hill for a southern Ontario gambling facility.
MGM Resorts International and Cadillac Fairview claim their integrated resort would bring 10,000 permanent jobs and “millions” in revenue to Toronto, as well as an increase in tourism.
MGM president Bill Hornbuckle and Cadillac Fairview executive vice-president Wayne Barwise will speak to the board to trade on Monday afternoon.
A vote by city council on whether to allow a casino in the city is expected later this spring.