Public health officials believe the cronut burger was responsible for more than 150 illnesses at the Canadian National Exhibition.
At a news conference on Friday afternoon, Dr. David McKeown said tests done on food samples from Epic Burger & Waffles, which sells the cronut burger, tested positive for a bacteria known to cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea within two to four hours.
“Early laboratory tests indicated that samples of the cronut burger were contaminated by Staphylococcus aureus toxin,” he said.
Most healthy people will recover but it can be serious for young children and the elderly. For a fact sheet from the University of Guelph on the bacteria, as well as symptoms and causes, click here.
Toronto Public Health (TPH) has now heard from more than 150 people reporting possible food poisoning after eating at the fair between Aug. 16 and 20.
McKeown said they have talked to about 100 of those people and the cronut burger was the common factor in all cases. There was no evidence of any other CNE food connected to the outbreak.
Officials still don’t know which part of the burger was contaminated, and Epic Burgers will remain closed until TPH can find “a precise cause and source of the outbreak,” he added.
CNE general manager David Bednar said, “We’ve stopped this now. We’re confident it’s over.”
With files from CityNews.ca