Loading articles...

Disappearance of Malaysian jet deliberate, PM says

Uncategorized

It’s been one week since a Malaysian jet vanished and still the authorities are baffled.

Malaysia’s Prime Minister Najib Razak said the communications systems of the missing aircraft had been deliberately disabled, and then the plane changed course and could have continued flying for a further seven hours.

“Up until the point at which it left military primary radar coverage, this movement is consistent with deliberate action by someone on the plane,” Razak said at a news conference on Saturday.

“Today, based on raw satellite data that was obtained by the satellite data service provider, we can confirm that the aircraft shown in the primary radar data was flight MH370.”

Authorities are now trying to trace the plane across two possible corridors from the border of Kazakhstan through to northern Thailand and also deep into the southern Indian Ocean.

There’s been a massive international air and sea search for the aircraft, which went missing about an hour after it took off from Kuala Lumpur last Saturday with 239 people on board

Now, the Vietnamese military is packing up as the investigation enters a new phase and the search of the South China Sea ends.

The families of the missing passengers and crew are no closer to understanding why flight 370 deviated from its flight path to Beijing.

“I know that many countries are already trying very hard to search for them, but at the moment  there are too many uncertainties and difficulties,” said Mrs. Wen, the wife of one of the passengers.

“I hope the governments of all the countries can hold discussions on these uncertainties and difficulties as soon as possible and, if it really was a hijacking, decide what they are going to do next.

“As soon as we have the first piece of information, we will have a little peace of mind. At the moment we just feel so helpless.”