Loading articles...

3 dead, 2 in hospital after suspected carbon monoxide leak in Brampton

A mother, father and son are dead and two other people are in hospital after a suspected carbon monoxide leak in a Brampton home.

Emergency crews were called to Linden Crescent, near Queen Street and Dixie Road, around 2 a.m. on Monday.

A 29-year-old man had come home to find the carbon monoxide detector going off and five people unconscious inside. He immediately called 911.

A 60-year-old man, a 59-year-old woman and their 36-year-old son are dead. It’s believed the 29-year-old who called police is also their son.

Two extended family members were sleeping on the lower level. They were taken to hospital and are expected to recover.

Peel police say the furnace broke down Sunday and the family brought in two propane heaters for warmth.

When emergency crews arrived on Monday, a propane heater, normally used on construction sites, could be seen on the front porch of the home.

It’s not known if one or two heaters were brought inside or how long they were being used in the house, Const. Fiona Thiviergesaid, describing the heaters as “salamander” units of the type used at construction sites.

Thivierge says the coroner is investigating and police are assisting but the case is not considered a criminal one.

Police say that propane heaters should never be used indoors, only outside and with proper ventilation.

“With a propane heater, there’s always a potential for leaks,” Thivierge said.

“It’s just a tragedy.”

After December’s ice storm left hundreds of thousands without power in Toronto and surrounding areas, officials warned of the deadly risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if outdoor equipment was brought indoors.

Two people died of carbon monoxide poisoning in Newcastle, Ont., east of Toronto, after trying to keep warm with a gas generator in a garage. In another incident, four Toronto residents were treated in hospital after using a charcoal barbecue indoors.

With files from Carl Hanstke, 680News and The Canadian Press