Loading articles...

No evidence email deletion happened under Wynne: OPP

There’s no evidence that emails connected to Ontario’s cancelled gas plants were deleted under Premier Kathleen Wynne’s watch, an OPP officer said Thursday.

Det. Const. Andre Duval testified before the Queen’s Park committee looking into the gas plant scandal

Duval added that Wynne’s office is not under investigation and that so far, the investigation into the alleged wiping of computer hard drives in the premier’s office is centred on former Premier Dalton McGuinty’s chief of staff David Livingston.

Police allege Livingston committed breach of trust when he gave an outside tech expert access to computers in the premier’s office.

Duval said that three other people from McGuinty’s office are refusing to cooperate with the investigation.

After Duval testified, Progressive Conservative Energy Critic Lisa MacLeod accused the Liberals of hiding information.

“How can you stand here in the legislature and say without a shadow of a doubt that no computers were wiped under the Wynne administration?,” he asked.

Government House Leader John Milloy then accused MacLeod of meddling in a police investigation.

“Politicians should stay out of of OPP investigations … Getting involved may in fact put the investigation in jeopardy.”

The unpopular gas plants in Oakville and Mississauga were cancelled by the Liberals ahead of the 2011 election.

The opposition parties said the emails were wiped out to cover up the true cost of killing the gas plants, which the auditor general estimates could climb to $1.1 billion — far more than the $230-million the government claimed.

The OPP said that they can’t determine the dates that the hard drives were accessed. Wynne was sworn in on Feb. 11, 2013.

With files The Canadian Press