Loading articles...

TIMELINE: Rob Ford's health issues

Last Updated Apr 2, 2015 at 3:14 pm EDT

Former Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has battled personal health troubles since at least 2009. Below are some key dates:

April 2, 2015: After meeting with doctors, Ford announces that the tumour in his abdomen has shrunk enough for surgery and the tumour in his back has “pretty well disappeared.” The eight-to-10 hour surgery is slated for May 11.

March 25, 2015: Ford says he’s tentatively scheduled to have surgery for his cancerous tumour in May, pending test results.

Dec. 16, 2014: Chemotherapy has shrunk Ford’s cancerous mass by 50 per cent. The former mayor is currently undergoing his fifth round of chemotherapy before he begins radiation in the new year.

Nov. 10, 2014:Ford cancelled plans to attend the city’s Remembrance Day ceremony after undergoing his third round of chemotherapy.

Sept. 17, 2014: Dr. Zane Cohen of Mount Sinai Hospital tells a news conference Ford has been diagnosed with malignant liposarcoma, which arises in soft tissue structures and makes up about one per cent of all cancers. He says Ford will undergo two rounds of chemotherapy treatment over the next 40 days. The mayor’s brother, Doug Ford, says the diagnosis has been “devastating” but that Rob “remains upbeat and determined to fight this.”

Sept. 12, 2014: Citing his health, Ford withdraws from the mayoral race just ahead of an official deadline to do so. Instead he files nomination papers to run again for council in his former suburban Toronto ward of Etobicoke North.

Sept. 10, 2014: Ford is admitted to hospital after experiencing abdominal pain for about three months. Doctors discover a tumour and a biopsy is done the next day after he is transferred to Mount Sinai Hospital in downtown Toronto.

June 30, 2014: Ford returns from rehab to resume his limited duties as mayor, saying that seeking treatment for substance abuse was a life-saving decision. He promises his commitment to “living clean is unwavering.” And Ford makes it clear he intends to continue his campaign to be re-elected mayor.

April 30, 2014: The lawyer for Ford, Dennis Morris, announces the mayor will take a leave of absence to seek help for substance abuse.

August 2013: Ford is hospitalized overnight at Humber River Hospital for throat and stomach irritation, which aggravated his asthma, his press secretary said at the time.

February 2011: Ford is treated for kidney stones at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.

July 2009: Ford, who was a councillor at the time, had appendicitis and the inflammation required he have part of his colon removed.