The 110th annual Santa Claus parade will return to downtown Toronto on Sunday, Nov. 16, starting at 12:30 p.m. But when it starts is just one of the things parade-goers will need to know about the return of the jolly old elf:
What’s the route?
- Starts at Christie Pits at Bloor St. W. and Christie St.
- Eastbound to Bloor St. W.
- Southbound to Queen’s Park Crescent E.
- Southbound to University Ave.
- Eastbound to Wellington St. W.
- Eastbound to Front St. E.
- Ends at Front St. E. and Jarvis St.
Mobile users click here to see a map of the route.
Who will be there?
Organizers are expecting more than 750,000 people to line the route for the 2 1/2-hour-long parade.
The namesake of the parade is always the star attraction, but this year you can expect to see a heavy representation from parade partners Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment — that includes floats from the Maple Leafs and Raptors. In total, 31 floats and 21 bands are expected to march through the downtown.
What’s new this year?
Wondering where Santa is? Mr. Ho-Ho-Ho has made is easy for you to track him, with a handy app that shows his location along the route. Also included in that app is the ability to shake your phone and generate the sound of sleigh bells ringing. Click here to download the app.
How do I get there?
If you are taking the TTC, there are plenty of subway stations stops along the parade route, including Christie, Bathurst, Spadina St. George, Museum, Queen’s Park, St. Patrick, Osgoode, Queen, and King stations.Taking GO Transit? Special train service will run on the Milton, Kitchener, Barrie, Richmond Hill, Stouffville, Lakeshore East and West GO lines. Special-priced GO day passes for travel to and from the parade are already on sale at most GO Stations. Click here for more info.
What roads will be closed?
- Bloor Street West, from Ossington Avenue to Christie Street, at 8 a.m.
- Bloor Street West, from Christie Street to Bathurst Street, at 10 a.m.
- Bloor Street West, from Bathurst Street to Bay Street, at 10:45 a.m
- Avenue Road/Queen’s Park, from Davenport Road to College Street, at 10:45 a.m.
- University Avenue, from College Street to Dundas Street, at 11 a.m.
- University Avenue, from Dundas Street to Front Street, at 11:15 p.m.
- Wellington Street, from University Avenue to Jarvis Street, at 11:30 p.m.
- Front Street, from Bay Street to Jarvis Street, at 11:45 p.m.
Vehicles parked along the route will be towed starting at 6 a.m.
What will the weather be like?
680News meteorologist Jill Taylor said temperatures will be around 1 C, but feel like -3 C for most of the afternoon under overcast skies.
Flurries are expected in the morning until about 10 a.m. The city might get a dusting of snow, up to 1 cm.