Loading articles...

Mother, son treated for minor injuries after Scarborough house fire

Toronto Fire crews at the scene following a two-alarm house fire on Bethune Boulevard in Scarborough on Dec. 4, 2014. CITYNEWS

Two people suffered minor injuries after a two-alarm house fire in Scarborough.

The fire broke out on Bethune Boulevard near Kingston Road and Eglington Avenue East around 3:15 a.m. on Thursday.

A mother and her son were taken to hospital to be treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation. The family’s dog died in the fire.

“The fire started in the basement in the bedroom downstairs. It was either with a hairdryer or a cigarette. We’re not 100 per cent sure right now. We’re still investigating,” Toronto fire Platoon Chief Dan Fraser said.

Fraser said the son, 26, had a hairdryer under the sheets to keep him warm. He received burns to his hands and upper arms.

They managed to evacuate their burning home and walked at least 10 minutes to a nearby gas station to call 911. However, a neighbour called 911 beforehand.

It’s not yet known why they walked that far to seek help, and paramedics initially thought it was a separate call.

Fraser said fire crews found some marijuana plants in the basement and that the son is a recreational user.

However, the plants are not suspected to be the cause of the fire.

Damage to the home is extensive. Fraser estimates the damage at $250,000.

Fire alarms were working in the home.