OTTAWA – Veterans Affairs Minister Julian Fantino is expressing outrage that a Second World War veteran was robbed in his home on Thursday.
Fantino issued a statement saying he is deeply angry that someone would do such a thing to Ernest Cote, who he said was a D-Day veteran who landed on Juno Beach on June 6,1944.
Fantino travelled to France earlier this year with the 101-year-old veteran for D-Day anniversary ceremonies and says he is honoured to know him.
Ottawa police have not named Cote as the victim, but said a 101-year-old man was tied up in his home Thursday morning and robbed by a man posing as a city employee.
Investigators say the man was alone in his apartment around 7:30 a.m. when a man claiming to work for the city asked to be buzzed in.
They say the phoney employee went to the apartment and asked for money at the door, then forced his way inside when his demands weren’t met.
Police say the intruder bound the man and took undisclosed items from the apartment.
They say the man later managed to free himself and call police.
Neighbours have identified the alleged victim as Cote.
“I am angry to think that someone would do such a thing to any Canadian senior, let alone someone who fought to secure the freedom we all enjoy,” Fantino said in the statement.
“I hope that the person who did this will face the full force of the law.”
Police are seeking a suspect but have made no arrests.