Loading articles...

Marco Muzzo case adjourned again, will remain in custody over Christmas

Last Updated Dec 10, 2015 at 11:37 am EDT

Marco Muzzo will remain in custody over Christmas, staying behind bars until his next court appearance on Jan. 6, 2016.

Muzzo appeared in a Newmarket court via video on Thursday to see his case put over for the fifth time. He is accused of 18 charges surrounding a fatal crash that killed four members of the same family.

Three siblings, Daniel Neville-Lake, 9, his brother Harrison, 5, their sister Milly, 2, all died in the Sept. 27 collision. Their 65-year-old grandfather died later in hospital. The children’s grandmother and great-grandmother were also seriously injured.

Muzzo, 29, has been in custody since the crash.

The King Township man is facing 18 charges, including a dozen impaired-driving offences and six charges related to the dangerous operation of a motor vehicle.

His next court appearance will be in person, the judge ruled Thursday.

The Muzzo family owns the construction company Marel Contractors and is worth nearly $1.8 billion, according to Canadian Business magazine.

Last month, Jennifer Neville-Lake, the mother of the three children, said she plans to attend every court hearing but notes it is “getting harder and harder” as the holidays — and Milly’s birthday — approach.

“She was our early Christmas present,” Neville-Lake said of her daughter.

The wave of support that followed the crash has held strong and Neville-Lake said she is grateful for it.

“It’s very reassuring to know our kids aren’t forgotten,” she said.