Loading articles...

Toronto pot dispensaries open for business despite last week's raids

Last Updated May 30, 2016 at 7:42 pm EST

Cannabis culture is fighting back after last week’s massive raids.

Last week, police raided 43 dispensaries in an investigation dubbed ‘Project Claudia.’ 90 people were arrested and close to 200 charges were laid in connection with the raids, including 71 criminal charges.

But many of the businesses raided by police have already reopened their doors, and new dispensaries are opening.

The Pot Dispensary on 801 Queen Street W., owned by Canada’s prince of pot, Marc Emery, opened following the raids and is openly selling weed to anyone over the age of 19.

“We’re determined to stand up and not bend down to these intimidation tactics,” says manager Erin Goodwin.


Related stories:

Toronto police say health concerns behind raid of dozens of pot shops, arrests

Ninety people arrested, 186 charges laid in dispensary raids

Police raid Toronto pot dispensaries for non-medical marijuana traffickers


She says they are checking for government issued ID at the door to make sure customers are over 19.

“There is clearly a need for it,” Goodwin says. “The market has decided that they want this. They have voted with their dollars.”

Cannabis Culture was not one the shops raided by police, but they are still ramping up pressure on the authorities.

While they say they are planning to expand, they have reduced the amount weed kept in-store. The majority of their marijuana products are now stored at a safe location off-site.

Goodwin says they have a wide range of pot edibles available as well, like weed-infused cotton candy.

“People are infusing marijuana into all different things, into candies, every type of food you can imagine.”

(To view video on mobile, click here)