A 19-year-old woman died and at least two other people were taken to hospital for suspected MDMA overdoses after an all-ages party at Rebel nightclub.
Three people were taken to hospital during the Friday night party, a Toronto Paramedics spokesperson told CityNews. One of those people, a woman who is not from Toronto, later died.
Toronto Police told CityNews they were called to the club for two reported overdoses, as well as four other calls. However, by the time their officers arrived, nobody wanted to be helped.
A father who reached out to CityNews said his 16-year-old daughter attended the same party, and was in critical care in the hospital for two days.
Rebel is located at Polson Pier, in what used to be the Sound Academy. It is owned by Ink Entertainment.
City councillor Paula Fletcher wants a review of what transpired, and stricter health oversight at similar concerts in the future.
“When you have a big star playing and you know it’s a younger crowd that likes a certain type of drug, there needs to be a very strong medical plan for what can and mostly likely will be, overdoses,” she said.
“I’m going to ask city officials to review this situation from Friday night…”
STATEMENT FROM INK ENTERTAINMENT, Owner of Rebel nightclub
We extend our sincerest condolences to the family and friends of the patron who passed away, and will keep them in our prayers during this difficult time.
REBEL has a zero tolerance drug policy, and also subjects every patron entering the venue to a full search. Anyone who is caught with an illegal substance is immediately denied entry. We employ an EMS company on-site for every music concert and club night.
The event on Friday December 16th was an all-ages concert, with a separated licensed area for 19+ guests.
Public safety and security is our top priority at INK Entertainment and we will continue to ensure that it remains that way with the highest standard of support.
We are fully cooperating with the police on the investigation. Due to the fact that this is an ongoing investigation, we cannot comment further on this matter.
Director, Public Relations