Loading articles...

Fire at Adelaide apartment building may have been sparked by cigarette butt

A fire on the seventh floor of a downtown apartment building may have been sparked by a discarded cigarette butt, Toronto Fire platoon chief Kevin Shaw said.

The fire began in a common area in the building on Adelaide Street near John Street, between Spadina and University avenues, around 7 a.m.

Sprinklers in the building were activated, Shaw said, and firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire.

No injuries were reported.

The fire comes as firefighters are again warning about the dangers of discarded cigarette butts. As of June 7, there were 27 outdoor apartment fires caused by people tossing cigarettes down from a higher balcony.

In all of last year, there were 25 balcony fires that were caused by cigarette butts, Toronto Fire said.


Related stories:

Balcony fires, sparked by cigarette butts, on the rise in Toronto

Cigarette may be behind Bathurst and Bloor apartment fire

Cigarette butt sparked massive 2010 fire at 200 Wellesley: fire marshal