A bail hearing for former Afghanistan hostage Joshua Boyle could be weeks away after a brief court appearance by video link Monday relating to assault charges.
Boyle is due back in Ontario court Jan. 26, while his lawyers press for disclosure of evidence such as details of a 911 call.
Joshua Boyle will remain in custody until Jan 26, when there will be a pre-trial hearing. He said little during his videolink appearance. At one point he said he didn’t know what was going on in the discussion. It was explained to him and he said thanks as the hearing wrapped
— Cormac Mac Sweeney (@cmaconthehill) January 15, 2018
Boyle was arrested by Ottawa police late last month and faces 15 charges, including eight counts of assault, two of sexual assault, two of unlawful confinement and one count of causing someone to take a noxious thing.
The charges against the 34-year-old relate to two alleged victims, but a court order prohibits the publication of any details that might identify them or any witnesses.
None of the charges — for offences alleged to have occurred between Oct. 14 and Dec. 30 after Boyle returned to Canada from his Afghan captivity — have been tested in court.
Boyle and his American wife, Caitlan Coleman, were taken hostage in 2012 by a Taliban-linked group while on a backpacking trip in Afghanistan.
The couple and the three children they had during their five years in captivity, were finally freed by Pakistani forces last October.