Loading articles...

Good Samaritan describes chaos during College subway attack

Last Updated Feb 14, 2018 at 6:57 pm EDT

**Warning: The details in this story are graphic**

Noora Sagarwala says she was just a regular commuter on her way to lunch on Monday when a random and unprovoked ice-pick attack on the subway prompted her to jump into action to provide comfort to a seriously wounded man.

“He told me his name was Francisco,” Sagarwala said. “He said he was dying. And I said, ‘No you’re not dying, Francisco.’ I was just like, ‘I’m Noora. Just focus on me. You’re going to be OK.'”

On Wednesday, Toronto police said they charged a 27-year-old man in connection with the random and unprovoked attack at College Station.

Police were called to the station around 12:40 p.m. on Monday for a stabbing on the subway platform.

When officers arrived they found a 60-year-old man with a serious stab wound to the face. Police say the victim was was sitting on the train, when another man stabbed him with an ice pick.

Sagarwala says while the chaos spilled onto the College platform, she cradled the ailing man’s head while they waited for emergency crews to arrive.

“I had my hand on his face, the side of his neck, and I was like, ‘I can feel your heart beating. I can see you breathing. You are not dying. You just have to hang on,'” Sagarwala said.

The suspect tried to flee but was arrested by TTC special constables.

Const. David Hopkinson said on Wednesday that the victim was stabbed a number of times in the head and body.

“The ice pick penetrated his brain cavity, even penetrated his brain. He has lost sight in one eye — I don’t know if that is permanent or not,” Hopkinson said.

He also said the ice pick entered the man’s nasal passage and punctured his brain.

The victim was rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries, but when Sagarwala visited him in the neurology department on Wednesday, he was sitting up, eating and talking. He called Sagarwala his “angel,” and told her he had blurred vision in his left eye.

Francisco also said he hopes his attacker gets the help he needs.

Thomas Sommerville has been charged with aggravated assault, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, and carrying a concealed weapon. He was supposed to appear in court on Wednesday, but didn’t because he was unwell, according to the Crown. He is expected to appear at an Old City Hall courtroom on Thursday.