Loading articles...

Elvis Costello cancels tour dates after cancer surgery

Elvis Costello poses for photographs on the red carpet for the movie "Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool" during the 2017 Toronto International Film Festival in Toronto on Tuesday, September 12, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

British singer-songwriter Elvis Costello has cancelled the rest of his European summer tour after undergoing surgery for a “small but very aggressive” cancerous tumour.

The post-punk singer-songwriter, who is married to B.C. jazz singer and pianist Diana Krall, says he needs time to recover after the operation.

The 63-year-old musician said in a statement Friday that he initially thought “normal service had been resumed” but then realized he needed more rest. He said “therefore, I must reluctantly cancel all the remaining engagements of this tour.”

“The spirit has been more than willing, but I have to now accept that it is going to take longer than I would have wished for me to recover my full strength,” the statement said.

He vowed to “return at the soonest opportunity.”

The cancelled concerts were in Britain, Croatia, Austria, Norway and Sweden.

Costello is still scheduled to play one show at Vancouver’s Elizabeth Theatre on December 4.

Costello, whose hits include “Alison” and “Oliver’s Army,” urged men to go to their doctors if they had symptoms they were worried about.