Loading articles...

Toronto man charged with assault in alleged attack on newspaper photographer

Last Updated Aug 19, 2018 at 11:06 am EST

Stan Behal of the Toronto Sun accepts the award for news photo at the 2016 National Newspaper Awards in Toronto on May 5, 2017. A Toronto newspaper photographer said he opted to file a complaint with police about being attacked while covering a protest in order to raise awareness about the dangers of escalating anti-media sentiment. Longtime Toronto Sun staff photographer Stan Behal said what he experienced last weekend - which included being hit on the head - was different from other incidents over his 35-year career, alleging it appeared to be fuelled by animosity toward journalists. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Galit Rodan

Police in Toronto have made an arrest in an alleged assault on a newspaper photographer in the city’s downtown.

It happened last Saturday during competing rallies at Nathan Phillips Square in front of Toronto City Hall.

Toronto Sun photographer Stan Behal says one protester lunged at him and hit him in the head.

Behal says he decided to file a police complaint because he believes the alleged attack was motivated by growing anti-media sentiment.

In a statement Saturday night, police said they had arrested a 29-year-old man from Toronto earlier in the day.

Police say Donald Joseph Macleod has been charged with assault and is due in court Wednesday.