One of the two Halton Regional Police officers injured in a shooting in Burlington on Saturday has been released from hospital.
The second officer will also be released in the coming days.
In a release on Monday, Halton police said they have received numerous inquiries about the condition of the officers and thanked the community for their support.
“The outpouring of support and concern for all of the men and women who serve the community of Halton has been overwhelming,” said Chief Stephen Tanner. “Please know that we hear you, and we can’t thank you enough.”
The two officers suffered gunshot wounds during a shootout with a suspect at a Burlington gas station.
Ontario provincial police were looking for man who had been involved in a motor vehicle collision when they received a call around 5 a.m. Saturday about a suspicious man in the bathroom of the gas station at Appleby Line and Harvester Road, just south of the QEW.
When the man exited the bathroom, there was an exchange of gunfire between him, four Halton Regional Police officers and one OPP officer.
The two Halton officers suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries. Only one of the two injured Halton officers discharged his weapon.
Both officers were taken to hospital for treatment and police said the officers were “in good spirits and in good hands” at the time.
The province’s Special Investigations Unit said a 32-year-old man was fatally shot by police and invoked its mandate.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault.