More than three million transit riders have been taking advantage of the hop-on, hop-off transfer but it will cost millions more this year to keep the program going.
The new program, which went into effect at the end of August, gives Presto users a two-hour window to hop on and off the TTC — including switching directions at any point.
At a news conference Thursday morning, Mayor John Tory said 3.4 million people have used the hop-on, hop-off transfer over the four-month span.
He said the program initially cost the city $11 million to implement it last year. However, to keep the program going, it is expected to cost $20 million in the 2019 budget.
“I believe that represented then, as does the $20 million for 2019, a good investment. I think it will continue to be a good investment because it makes life more affordable and it makes life easier for people,” Tory said.
“And I think it’s going to make people more likely to use the TTC, which we want.”
Although the cost is hefty, the TTC is also losing money due to some people not paying for fares.
Tory also said the TTC still has to work out some Presto issues.