Loading articles...

Wilson-Raybould submits written submission on SNC-Lavalin affair

Last Updated Mar 27, 2019 at 1:42 pm EDT

Former justice minister Jody Wilson-Raybould walks from West Block on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Feb. 28, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

The clerk of the Justice Committee has received a written submission from former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould into the SNC-Lavalin affair.

However, is not clear when the public will get to see it.

The documents will need to be translated into French and personal information — phone numbers and email addresses — will have to be redacted. Depending on the size of the submission, it could take hours or days.

Conservative MP Michael Cooper, vice-chair of the committee, told 680 NEWS it is disappointing to find out facts in this manner, adding he would have much preferred another round of testimony from Wilson-Raybould.

“Liberals have used every tool at their disposal to shut down the work of the Justice Committee to hear her whole version of events,” Cooper said.

Last week, Wilson-Raybould said she would provide “copies of text messages and emails” that she referred to last month when she testified for nearly four hours before the committee.

She said the written submission would be based on “relevant facts and evidence in my possession that further clarify statements — made and elucidate the accuracy and nature of statements by witnesses in testimony that came after my committee appearance.”

Her written statement will be “within the confines of the waiver of cabinet confidence and solicitor-client privilege” she was granted before testifying orally, she said. That waiver covers up until Jan. 14, when she was shuffled out of her dual role as justice minister and attorney general.

When she testified in person, Wilson-Raybould said she’d suffered a months-long campaign, pushed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s office, to get her to order a “deferred prosecution agreement” be offered to SNC-Lavalin over its allegedly corrupt dealings in Libya.

She was followed by former prime ministerial aide Gerald Butts, who said there were miscommunications but no improper pressure, and then-Privy Council clerk Michael Wernick, who denied Wilson-Raybould’s allegation that he’d issued veiled threats about her place in cabinet on the prime minister’s behalf.