The Ontario Fire Marshall’s (OFM) office says the house fire in Oakville that killed two people was accidental.
Emergency crews were called to the home on Princess Anne Drive around 8:40 p.m. after a passerby noticed smoke coming from the home.
On arrival, firefighters were faced with heavy smoke on the second floors.
“When they made entry to the home they went to the second floor to conduct a primary search. Smoke conditions and heat conditions were heavy,” deputy fire chief Andy Glynn explained.
“They were beating back the fire as they entered the second floor. They were able to get the fire under control and then subsequently found the two patients and removed them to the ambulance.”
A man and a woman were removed from the home and the man was pronounced dead shortly after. The woman was taken to hospital in serious condition, where she later died.
The fire was extinguished about two hours later and no other people were found inside the house.
The Ontario Fire Marshall’s Office said on Monday afternoon that the fire was caused when lit candles came into contact with draped material in a bedroom on the second floor. There was no smoke alarm on the second floor and the one on the main floor was not working.
“This tragic fire is a timely reminder to install and test smoke alarms. It’s the law to have working smoke alarms on every storey and outside all sleeping areas of your home,” the OFM statement read
The victims will be identified by the Chief Coroner’s office after a post mortem in Toronto on Tuesday.