Health officials say 10 more people have died from COVID-19 in Ontario. The province’s total number of deaths is 33.
The province’s daily update on Monday morning listed the number of deaths at 23, but the associate chief medical officer of health says that since then, public health units have reported 10 more, for a
total of 33.
Dr. Barbara Yaffe says the information is incomplete at the moment, but the regions that have seen more deaths include Haliburton, Lambton, Haldimand Norfolk and Huron Perth.
Yaffe wasn’t able to say if the Haliburton death is related to an outbreak at Pinecrest Nursing Home in Bobcaygeon.
Seven residents have died there and 24 staff members are infected.
Ontario reported on Monday 351 new novel coronavirus cases, the largest single-day increase by far.
Health officials say the jump is at least partly due to clearing a large backlog of pending test results.
The new total of cases in the province is 1,706 — including 431 resolved cases and the 33 deaths.
The number of resolved cases had been stuck at eight for many days.
But health officials had said to expect a large jump once the data caught up to a new definition for resolved.
The increase in the number of resolved cases also means there are actually fewer active COVID-19 cases in Ontario — 1,252 — than the 1,324 that Sunday’s data had indicated.
A new reporting format from the province also shows that more than 61 per cent of all cases are in the Greater Toronto Area.
Information on how people became infected is still pending for nearly half of all cases in Ontario. About 16 per cent are attributed to community spread, 26 per cent to recent travel, and nearly 10 per cent to close contact with another confirmed case.
About 10 per cent of people in the province who have tested positive for COVID-19 have been hospitalized.
The median age of people infected is 50, with cases ranging in age from under one year old to 100 years old.