Loading articles...

Premier Ford to extend Ontario's state of emergency

Last Updated Mar 31, 2020 at 5:14 am EDT

A security guard hands a person a parking pass as they enter a hospital with a coronavirus assessment center in Mississauga, Ont., on March 15, 2020. GETTY IMAGES (Cole Burston/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
Summary

Ontario's state of emergency was first issued on March 17.


Ford says the state of emergency will be re-evaluated every two weeks.


Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he will be extending the state of emergency in the province for the next two weeks.

It was first issued on March 17.

At a news conference on Monday, Ford says the state of emergency will be re-evaluated every two weeks.

He said officials are “working every contact we have” to secure more equipment such as masks and gloves for front-line workers, Ford said, but the more time Ontario gets to prepare, the more lives will be saved.

“It will take time for local production to ramp up and for new supplies to reach us,” he said.

“The reality is if there’s a massive surge of people coming into our hospitals in the next two weeks, our supply lines will be seriously challenged.”

Ford reiterated that he is prepared to take further action, lamenting that he saw “the streets were packed” on the previous day’s sunny afternoon, but that he is waiting for advice from Williams.

Ford also said he would be extending the state of emergency, which had been set to expire Tuesday, and orders many facilities closed, including daycares, libraries, and bars and restaurants except to do take-out or delivery.