Loading articles...

Fourth victim dies from tractor tragedy southeast of Montreal

Last Updated Jul 4, 2020 at 2:29 pm EDT

The scene from the small town of Notre-Dame-de-Stanbridge where three young children died after being ejected from the front-loader of a tractor. (CREDIT: Alyssia Rubertucci, CityNews)

Quebec provincial police say a fourth person has died following Wednesday’s tractor accident in Notre-Dame-de-Stanbridge, southeast of Montreal.

The accident had claimed the lives of three children – all under the age of five – out of a total of 10 people who were thrown from the front loader of a tractor.

Sgt. Claude Denis says today that police were informed Friday night of the death of one of the two adults who had been listed in critical condition earlier this week.

The condition of the second adult wasn’t immediately available.

Five others – three children and two adults – were also seriously injured in the accident.

A 38-year-old Quebec man, who cannot be identified under a court order, was charged with criminal negligence causing death and criminal negligence causing bodily harm during a court appearance on Thursday.

He was released with conditions.

Police initially said alcohol could have been a factor in the accident, but the suspect has not been charged with any alcohol-related crimes.

“We looked at the evidence, and for now, that’s the only count that we could go for,” she Crown prosecutor Veronique Gauthier, referring to criminal negligence.

Six children and four adults were riding in the loader of the tractor Wednesday evening when the accident occurred on a country road in the small town of Notre-Dame-de-Stanbridge.