Loading articles...

COVID-19 case count above 300 for the first time since early June

Last Updated Sep 14, 2020 at 11:51 am EDT

In this March 11, 2020, file photo, a technician prepares COVID-19 coronavirus patient samples for testing. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS/John Minchillo

For the first time since early June, Ontario is reporting over 300 new daily cases of COVID-19, with 313 confirmed Monday. 

Health Minister Christine Elliott said in a tweet that 78 per cent of the new cases were from three regions: 112 in Toronto, 71 in Peel and 60 in Ottawa. 

Elliott also said 67 per cent of the cases reported are from people under the age of 40.

One additional death was reported for a total of 2,816.

Another 133 people have recovered from the novel coronavirus and 89.2 per cent of the 44,817 cases are considered resolved.

Elliot says all other public health units have fewer than 10 new cases, except for York Region with 13 cases, while 15 reported have no new cases.

The province says today one student and one staff member have also tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total to 15 school-related cases.

Meanwhile, The head of the Ontario Hospital Association is warning that increasing COVID-19 case rates could lead to another provincial lockdown.

OHA president Anthony Dale says the province’s accelerating infections rates in Toronto, Peel and Ottawa could spread to the rest of Ontario if people don’t respect public health guidelines.

He says Ontario residents must practise physical distancing, wear masks when required, and neither host nor attend unsafe gatherings and parties.

Dale says he is making the request of Ontario residents on behalf of hospital staff who are the anchor of the province’s pandemic response.

He says some people have been lulled into a false sense of security by case numbers which had been decreasing last month.