Loading articles...

Immunity task force chair says Tory's proposed probe will hurt pandemic response

Last Updated Oct 25, 2020 at 3:08 pm EST

OTTAWA — The co-chair of the federal government’s COVID-19 immunity task force suggests a probe of the Liberals’ handling of the pandemic proposed by opposition parties could do more harm than good.

Dr. David Naylor says there are legitimate questions about how the government has responded and that he wishes more work was done in the summer to prepare for the second wave of COVID-19.

Yet the former University of Toronto president and Canadian Medical Hall of Fame inductee says now is not the time for the type of probe the Conservatives are proposing for the Commons’ health committee.

Comparing the scope of the study to “dredging a harbour,” Naylor says it is too wide-ranging and will create more work and distractions for the public service at a time when it is already working full out.

Naylor is the latest to speak out after several industry players voiced concerns last week about the committee study, which will be put to a vote in the House of Commons on Monday.

While parties reportedly spent the weekend negotiating possible changes to the Conservative proposal, it appears poised for approval with the NDP and Bloc Quebecois indicating their support. 

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 25, 2020.

The Canadian Press