A government source confirms that Ontario is not considering a curfew at this time.
The source says a curfew is not being recommended by Ontario health officials.
Speculation has been swirling that Ontario Premier Doug Ford could follow Quebec’s lead and implement a curfew. Under the terms of Quebec’s curfew, all but certain exempt groups must stay off the streets between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. until at least Feb. 8.
When asked about the possibility of a curfew last week, Ford would only say that “everything is on the table” when it comes to battling the COVID-19 virus, which has killed over 5,000 people across the province.
Ford’s cabinet is meeting Monday to discuss further restrictions for the province, as cases continue to surge, but for now it appears a curfew is off the table.
“We will be going to cabinet with recommendations. We’ll make an announcement tomorrow,” Ford said ahead of the meeting.
With files from The Canadian Press