Ontario says 67 more people have died from COVID-19 with new cases below 1,200.
As of Wednesday’s update, 6,305 people in the province have died as a result of the virus.
The province reported 1,172 new cases on Wednesday; however, the Ministry of Health says the case numbers could still be under-reported due to data migration.
Most of the new diagnoses are in Toronto (444), followed by Peel Region (199), and York Region (110).
On Tuesday, health officials reported 745 new cases, but health officials said a number was not provided for Toronto as a result of data migration.
“We are in the middle of our transition to the provincial CCM system for public health case and contact management. This is a big transfer that includes over 80,000 records,” Toronto’s associate medical officer of health Dr. Vinita Dubey said in a statement.
“Data fluctuation remain(s) possible during the completion of the work.”
Earlier on Tuesday, provincial health officials said other public health units may have been affected by the data migration.
“As a result, we anticipate fluctuations in case numbers over the next few days,” the Ministry of Heath said in a statement.
Health officials say 1,066 people are being treated in hospital with 336 in ICU.
The province conducted 52,418 tests on Tuesday and administered an additional 3,716 vaccine doses.
This latest update comes as the Ontario government is set to announce whether schools in regions hardest hit by COVID-19 can reopen next week for in-person learning.
The province has previously said that schools in five COVID-19 hot spots as well as several other regions would reopen for in-person learning by Feb. 10.
With files from the Canadian Press