Loading articles...

40 per cent of eligible Toronto residents now vaccinated, city says

People arrive at a COVID-19 vaccination clinic in Toronto, Canada, on April 28, 2021. (Xinhua/Zou Zheng via Getty Images)
Summary

40 per cent of eligible Toronto residents have now been vaccinated against COVID-19


Over one million people have now received at least their first dose of vaccine


The City of Toronto says 40 per cent of eligible Toronto residents have now been vaccinated against COVID-19.

“In total, more than 1,016,400 people in Toronto from eligible groups have now received at least their first dose of vaccine,” the city said in a news release Saturday.

Around 20 per cent of the doses were administered by city-run clinics, with the rest, about 80 per cent, done by the city’s vaccine partners.

Adults who live in so-called hotspot postal codes — areas with high numbers of COVID-19 cases — make up a significant portion of those now vaccinated, the city said.

“The City and vaccination partners are seeing double-digit increases in vaccination rates in the hottest hot spots – good progress with more to be done,” the city said. “Across the 13 postal codes prioritized in the strategy, 36.6 per cent of adults have now received a first dose of vaccine.”

Mayor John Tory called the news encouraging and said the city is already working towards the next milestone of getting most Torontonians vaccinated.

“While we take a minute to mark the 40 per cent goal being met early, I want you to know that we won’t rest until everyone has received their vaccination, the lockdown is lifted, and we truly put this pandemic behind us,” Tory said.