EDMONTON – A man from St. Catherines, Ont. is accused of assaulting an Edmonton girl and police believe he may have more victims.
The Internet Child Exploitation (ICE) branch of the Alberta Law Enforcement Response Team (ALERT) says the 41-year-old man met the victim online.
Investigators say she was lured and groomed before the two met in person in Edmonton where she was forced into performing sexual acts.
“What our victim endured is sickening and she displayed remarkable courage in coming forward. ICE is hoping other women can muster the same strength; to contact police, to get help, and ensure no one else has to suffer in the same manner,” said Cpl. Dave Knight in a release.
Edmonton was not the only place this happened, according to ICE, which says the victim was assaulted many more times from 2012 to 2014 in Burlington and St. Catherines as well.
Police believe there could be more victims in each of those cities.
The suspect was arrested in Ontario late last month and has been charged with sexual assault, assault, sexual exploitation, and making child pornography.
He made his first court appearance in Calgary on May 4.
Anyone with additional information can reach out to ALERT ICE in Alberta or the Niagara Regional Police Service in Ontario.