Loading articles...

Ontario reports fewer than 2,500 new COVID-19 cases, 26 deaths

Last Updated May 14, 2021 at 3:51 pm EDT

TORONTO, April 13, 2021 -- People line up for COVID-19 tests outside a COVID-19 testing bus in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, on April 13, 2021. Over the past week, there has been an increase of 33 percent in daily case counts with an average of almost 8,100 new cases reported per day, according to the Public Health Agency of Canada on Tuesday. (Xinhua/Zou Zheng via Getty Images)

Ontario is reporting 2,362 new COVID-19 cases and 26 additional deaths on Friday.

The province’s test positivity rate is 6.1 per cent, down from 7 per cent a week ago.

There were 44,040 tests completed in the last 24 hour period, Down slightly from the nearly 48,000 a day ago. There were more than 51,000 tests completed on Friday last week.

Locally, there are 691 new cases in Toronto, 563 in Peel, 224 in York Region, 148 in Durham and 112 in Hamilton.

The province reported 2,759 cases and 31 deaths on Thursday.

Resolved cases have now outnumbered new cases for more than three weeks. There were 3,502 more resolved cases reported, dropping the active case count by more than 1,100.

There are now 1,582 people hospitalized in the province with 777 in intensive care units. Hospitalizations are down from 1,924 a week ago.

Graphics courtesy of Dr. Jennifer Kwan

The latest provincial numbers confirm 2,632 additional cases of the B.1.1.7 variant, 19 additional cases of the P.1 variant and 20 additional cases of the B.1351 variant.

There were 141,765 vaccine doses administered in the last 24 hour period.

As of 8:00 p.m. Thursday, 6,771,128 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered across Ontario.

Graphics courtesy of Dr. Jennifer Kwan


RELATED:


On Thursday, the province said it will begin to accept Pfizer vaccine appointments for youth aged between 12 and 17 as of May 31. The schedule for first doses is tentatively slated to be through June 14 to June 21.

The Ford government also announced it is extending the provincewide stay-at-home order for an additional two weeks until at least June 2.

Outdoor amenities such as golf courses, tennis and basketball courts will be restricted, however,  Premier Doug Ford says that after June 2, with the latest stay-at-home order set to expire, it’s then the government will look into reopening outdoor recreational amenities.

The City of Toronto says it will issue no permits for major outdoor events until after Labour Day (Sept. 6), meaning summer staples like the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) and Taste of the Danforth would be cancelled for a second consecutive year.

The cancellations include festivals and other large, in-person gatherings, held at outdoor sites managed by the city or other public locations, such as roads, parks and civic squares.