A man has been taken to a trauma centre after a fire broke out at a house near Dufferin Street and Eglinton Avenue West.
Emergency crews were called to Harvie Avenue around 2:20 a.m. Monday.
When firefighters arrived on scene the home was filled with heavy smoke.
“Crews quickly found a lone occupant in the kitchen,” Division Commander Len Stadler explained.
“Unfortunately at the time he was VSA (vital signs absent). They performed CPR and revived him.”
Paramedics said the man, believed to be in his 50s, suffered serious smoke inhalation and some minor burns.
It appeared the fire started in the kitchen.
“He did have working smoke detectors and quick work of the crews were able to have a successful outcome” Stadler said.
Crews worked quickly to knock down the fire.
No other injuries were reported.