Loading articles...

Peel police officers get probation for off-duty assault of 62-year-old man

File photo of a Peel police cruiser. FLICKR/Kaye

Three Peel police officers have been given suspended sentences with probation for 12 months for their part in an off-duty physical altercation with a 62-year-old man at a Brampton banquet hall in 2012.

On Apr. 29, following a lengthy trail, Sgt. Bernard Webber, Const. Darren Barden and Const. Lance Kerec were convicted of assault causing bodily harm and forcible confinement. A fourth officer’s charges were dismissed on Sept. 30.

As a result of the non-custodial sentence, the three officers will remain suspended with pay while Peel Police Chief Jennifer Evans reviews the sentences.

The three officers continue to face Police Service Act charges.

Earlier today, Peel const. Carlton Watson was sentenced to five years in jail after being found guilty of 42 fraud-related charges for filing false accident reports for staged collisions.

Following his sentencing, Evans said that Watson has been suspended without pay and she is seeking his outright dismissal from the force.

“I want to assure the community that I take allegations of misconduct very seriously and hold officers accountable for their actions. As a result of this conviction and custodial sentence, I will be seeking his dismissal from this police service,” Evans said.

Watson had been suspended with pay since his arrest in 2011 after a five-month investigation by the Internal Affairs Bureau and the Insurance Bureau of Canada.