5 men from Brampton, including youth, arrested in firearm investigation

By Lucas Casaletto

Peel Regional Police have arrested five men, including one 17-year-old, after the group allegedly stole a vehicle, leading to the discovery of a loaded handgun in Brampton.

Police said just after 6 p.m. on March 8, officers attended the Highway 50 and Cottrelle Boulevard area to investigate a suspicious vehicle.

It’s alleged that investigators determined the car had been stolen. When responding officers approached the vehicle, the driver attempted to flee, striking several police cruisers. Five suspects were arrested at the scene, and a loaded handgun and ammunition were recovered from the vehicle.

“Thanks to the diligence and professionalism of our frontline and investigative teams, our 21 Division officers prevented a violent incident and removed a gun from our community,” said Deputy Chief Marc Andrews.

“With these arrests, our officers also prevented the re-victimization of our community by these individuals, three of whom were out on bail for firearms and other serious offences.”

Authorities identified 19-year-old Pablo Banton of Brampton. He’s facing several charges, including possession of a loaded firearm. He’s currently on a release order stemming from unrelated firearm offences.

Josiah Lowe, 19, of Brampton, is facing charges, including possessing a loaded firearm. Police said Lowe is on a firearms prohibition order resulting from a robbery conviction and two separate release orders from robbery allegations.

Matthew Swaby, 19, an unidentified 17-year-old, and Mubarek Ibrahim, 18, all of Brampton, are facing similar offences. The male youth was not identified through the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today