Suspect charged with first-degree murder in Toronto officer’s death

A Toronto Police officer has died after being struck by a vehicle in what police are calling an "intentional" act. Faiza Amin with how the longtime officer is being remembered and the events that led up to his death.

By News Staff

Toronto police have charged a man in connection with the death of Const. Jeffrey Northrup, who was struck and killed by a vehicle in the underground parking garage at City Hall early Friday morning.

Police say Umar Zameer, 31, is facing a single count of first-degree murder.

He has been remanded in custody and is scheduled to appear in court next on July 23, 2021.

Police said a publication ban prevents them from releasing any further details but did say there are no outstanding suspects.

Police Chief James Ramer said Const. Northrup, from 52 Division, had been with the Toronto Police Service for more than 30 years. He is survived by his wife, three children and mother.

“This will have a profound impact on our service and all the members of the policing community. It goes without saying that it will be most devastating to the family, colleagues and friends of Const. Northrup. We are doing everything we can to support them at this time,” Ramer said, calling his death an “intentional and deliberate act.”

“His family is devastated. The police family is devastated by the senseless act of violence. This only goes to highlight the risk that our officers take every day,” the Toronto Police Association president Jon Reid said.

Ramer said a female officer was taken to hospital but has been released.

Emergency crews were called to the scene on Queen Street West near Bay Street just before 12:30 a.m.

Ramer said the suspect was initially outside of the vehicle when the two officers approached him.

“Our preliminary information is that he and his partner were conducting an investigation in response to a priority call in the underground parking lot … Northrup was struck by a vehicle. We believe that this was an intentional and deliberate act,” he said.

Ramer said the officers were in plain clothes, but they were they wearing a “chain with their identification in front of them and they were working as part of the July 1 events in the downtown core.”

Const. Northrup was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

“Our hearts are very heavy this morning,” Mayor John Tory said, expressing his condolences to his family, friends and the police community.

Later in a tweet, he said flags at City of Toronto locations will be flown at half-mast until further notice to honour the fallen officer.

“My deepest condolences to his wife, three kids and the entire Toronto Police Service. We are with you mourning this devastating loss,” Premier Doug Ford said in a tweet.

Ramer said Northrup served the police service for 31-and-a-half years.

“He started his career with court services and was assigned to 11 Division when he became a police officer in 1999. He has been a member of 52 Division since 2008,” he said.

“He should be remembered as an outstanding police officer … he was also very proud of the job he did … he was just full of personality and loved by everyone.”

Northrup was the first Toronto police officer to die in the line of duty since Const. John Zivcic in 2013.


Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today